• question-icon

What causes numbness and tingling in the right arm?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hi, yesterday my husband woke up with numbness and tingling in his right arm from the shoulder all the way down to his fingertips. He also awoke with numbness in his left leg from his kneecap down to his toes. He has sciatica, but it is on the left side of his body. He has experience numbness and tingling pain in his left leg before, but never in his right and certainly not his right leg and right arm. He is a barber and was doing a shave yesterday and had to stop in the middle of it. We had hoped that perhaps he had slept on these limbs and this was causing the tingling and numbness, but he awoke this morning with the same problem. Is a 47-year-old Caucasian male. Thank you for your time and attention.

Hi, I noticed a typo in my original question I want to make clear that the tingling and numbness is happening on his right side… Both arm and leg. He has never experienced tingling and numbness on the side of his body before.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
vitamin B12 can help.

Detailed Answer:
Pins and needles are abnormal sensations that can occur anywhere in the body, but are often felt in your hands, feet, arms, or legs.

Many causes of such sensations are there. These include injury to the back or spinal cord, Lack of blood supply to the legs as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause such sensations.

Firstly, I’ll request you to get your blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out Diabetes mellitus. Also get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon