• question-icon

What causes numbness and tingling in the left hand?

Posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I'm experiencing light numbness and tingling in my left hand, in the extremities, my thumb and all fingertips except the little finger.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral neuropathy to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

In my opinion, peripheral neuropathy, a condition characterized by peripheral nerves damage from different causes, should be considered and evaluated further as a possible cause of your symptoms.

Conditions related to peripheral neuropathy include diabetes, viral infections, low vitamin B12, alcohol use, autoimmune diseases, side effects of drugs, thyroid gland disorders, etc.

Besides treatment with gabapentin, it is necessary to discuss with your Doctor about getting evaluated further for above mentioned conditions because the cause may be reversible if treated correctly.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical