What causes night sweats,lethargy,runny nose,joint pain with stomach ache post tonsillectomy?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: post tonsillectomy 2 weeks, night sweats, lethargy, runny nose, aching bones and joint pain with stomach ache at night that radiates to back. what could cause this, my gp said my glands are swollen but throat is healing well. also upper back ache in daytime between shoulder blades. worried.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: looks like viral fever Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. Your symptoms are classisal of viral fever...but still i would suggest that you get a complete blood count to rule out any infection and peripheral smear study for malarial parasites, if you are staying in a malaria endemic area. Till then i would suggest that you start on a ppi like pantaprazole tabs and an analgesic with a paracetamol combination and a antihistamine like levocetrizine...but you need to see your local doctor for the prescription...though you may get them over the counter also. Viral fever is usually self limiting and subsides in 5-7 days....the treatment is symptomatic only... Drink plenty to fluids and eat well but avoid cold food... Hope that i have answered to all your queries. If you have further queries, i will be glad to answer them. Get well soon. Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E