What causes nausea, dizziness, weakness and slight pressure in head?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: We emailed approx. 2-3 wks ago regarding grogginess and weakness and low Iron, etc, and I appreciated your response

Have been taking Iron tablets and lots of water and have been feeling much better since, but on Sunday I woke up with flu like symptoms (walls/ ceiling spinning, weakness, and nausea). I took 2 Tylenol with water and vomited within 1/2 hr clear liquid. Have had hard stools. I never had vertigo before but this was the first time.

After several house of rest/sleep I was able to walk without falling down, and although mostly recovered, still have some dizziness and very slight pressure in front of head, espec in AM, but no obvious cold or sinus problems?...nor any pressure in ears that could cause such drastic imbalance.

Not sure if this could be due to depression?....or poor sleep (girlfriend says I snore a lot and deeply)...or combination?

Answered by Dr. Geldon Fejzo 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
benign positional paroxysmal vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Nice to hear from you again and i am happy to hear you did recover from the last symptoms you had.

The symptoms you are describing, with acute onset in the morning of wall spinning, nausea are typical findings in what is known as benign positional paroxysmal vertigo. The duration as well supports this thesis. This is a benign situation but very disturbing.

Basically, the otholytes (tiny particles) in your inner ear somehow activate abnormally your vestibular nerve, sending wrong positional stimuli to your brain causing vertigo.

This is a benign situation and may need a couple of days to weeks to fully recover. Betaserc 24 mg twice daily is the treatment of choice.

Of course, a neurological consult is recommended to be sure there is no other situation concerning, which I doubt.

Please inform me on how the situation evolves.

Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Geldon Fejzo

Neurologist, Surgical