• question-icon

What causes auditory hallucinations?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I am hearing music in head --- not just from remembering a song that you can't get rid of, but music that goes over and over. This happens several times a day.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible auditory hallucinations

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
If this is just your silent singing in your thoughts then this is normal and you should not worry about this. buy if you have a feeling that you hear this song involuntary then this may be sign of musical ear syndrome (MES) which describes a condition seen in people who have some degree of hearing loss and subsequently develop auditory hallucinations. auditory hallucinating may be sign of some psychological or neurological disorders or brain dementia. also some mental illnesses such as psychosis or schizophrenia but also may be just temporary and benign and self limiting. If this continues,you should see neurologist first since it can be treated with certain medications. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 30 minutes later
Thank you. I have worn hearing aids for over twenty years and my hearing is getting worse. The sound in my head is auditory --- not nearly as loud as it was when it first began over three months ago, but still loud enough that it is difficult to shut myself off from it. I will get a reference from my doctor to see a neurologist. Thank you again.
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 4 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Yes. as hearing is getting worse, it is possible to have such sensation that you describe due to atrophy of vestibular nerve and inner ear changes. Neurologist and Otorhinolaryngologist should do tests to see if I am right. But I don't think this is a serious issue.

You are welcome.
Feel free to ask further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon