What causes muscle spasms in right calf?
Due to muscle cramps.
Thanks for posting your query.
The symptoms you have described are suggestive of muscle cramps. These are caused by hyper excitability of the nerves that stimulate the muscles. Cramps at rest are very common and may be experienced at any age. Rest cramps often occur during the night.
The cause of cramps is as following-
1. Low blood levels of either calcium or magnesium directly increase the excitability of both the nerve endings and the muscles they stimulate. Cramps can also occur in excessive vomiting, dehydration.
2. On drugs which causes excessive urination. Leading to low calcium, Magnesium, potassium level. Drugs given for asthma, angina and Parkinsonism also lead to cramps. Cholesterol lowering drugs like statin also cause cramps on chronic use.
3. Several vitamin deficiency states may directly or indirectly lead to muscle cramps. These include deficiencies of thiamine (B1), pantothenic acid (B5), and pyridoxine (B6).
Most cramps can be stopped if the muscle can be stretched. For many cramps of the feet and legs, this stretching can often be accomplished by standing up and walking around. Gently massaging the muscle will often help it to relax, as will applying warmth from a heating pad or hot soak. If the cramp is associated with fluid loss, as is often the case with vigorous physical activity, fluid and electrolyte (especially sodium and potassium) replacement is essential. Certain drugs like baclofen are helpful.
A simple way to prevent cramp is stretch your calf muscle many times a day 3-4 times and each time holding for 10-15 seconds.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Can be DVT.
Thanks for writing again.
If heat and muscle relaxers are not working then deep vein thrombosis needs to be ruled out. Do consult your physician for a color doppler scan.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes muscle spasms
- What causes calf muscle spasms
- Calf muscle spasms causes
- What is the cause and treatment for muscle spasms
- What causes eye muscle spasms
- What causes regular muscle spasms in the body
- What causes terrible muscle spasms in my arm
- What causes muscle spasms under rib cage
- What could be the cause for severe abdominal muscle spasms
- What causes muscle spasms symptoms