What causes muscle cramps, shoulder pain, anxiety and shortness of breath?

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 12 Jul 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Dear Doctor,

Whenever I touch someone or any iron material I can sense some electric shock, sometimes people sense it & sometimes not. When I read in internet I got to know that there might be some problem with my nerves.

Long back I fell on my right and left shoulders, from that time I feel painful to rotate my shoulders towards backside or lift weights in GYM.

Another problems that I face

> Irregular shoulder join pain ( I cant lift heavy weights)
> Muscle cramps in my neck if I yawn or in my thighs if I stretch my legs
> Burning sensation in feet & hands ( from few days)
> Frequent change in heartbeat ( Specially while eating)
> Long lasting body aches ( If I run or I work hard)
> Shortness of breath ( Sometimes I cant breathe completely )
> Anxiety
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Differential diagnosis of disease and management

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ec, thanks for asking from HCM.

I Can understand your concern. You are having neuromuscular problem. The current like sensation in hands. burning sensation in feet and hands, cramps could be due to nerve compression or injury, mainly in cervical region spine. While joint pain, body ache after workout, shortness of breath could be due to poor stamina and old injury. Even anxiety and depression can also cause such symptoms.

You should consult neurologist/surgeon to rule out cervical spine disease. The doctor will examine your nervous and muscular system. He will advise

: MRI cervical spine to know cervical cord compression, nerve compression
: Vitamin B12, Vitamin D level to know about nerve and muscular-bone status. It is very common now a day to be having low B12 and D. It leads to tingling, weakness in body, generalised body ache.

If he finds any positive finding, he will first medical management for it, like

: Cervical neck collar
: Avoid forward bending
: Avoid weight lifting
: Tab Pregabaline/Amitriptyline/Gabapentine to give relief in tingling, burning sensation.
: Neuron specific vitamin like B12, Pyridoxine, Pantothenic acid for nerve repair.

If no positive finding, he may advise to you to consult Psychiatrist. He will evaluate you for anxiety and depression.

For joint pain, apply painkiller gel like Diclofenac gel and hot fomentation thrice a day. You should also take Tab Diclofenac/Ibuprofen for pain relief. Consult physiotherapist for ultrasonic therapy.
If still no relief, consult orthopaedician.

Your stamina will improve gradually with relief in nerve and joint pain. The physiotherapist will advise you stretching and strengthening exercise to increase stamina. After it, your body ache and shortness of breath will improve gradually.
However , you should consult general physician for evaluation of heart and lung.

Hope it will help you. If still in doubt, do let me know.

Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T