• question-icon

What causes mild vertigo and dizziness?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Good morning, Doc
I have a call in to my Primay's office, but they aren't open yet and I can't leave a message (Physician Associates in FL, great doctors, awful system, I'm sure you understand). My email is YYYY@YYYY .
Friday afternoon I became a bit dizzy, mild vertigo. I assumed it was ear/sinus clogging (again, FL - high humidity, everything blooming & I do have environmental allergies controlled by Zyrtec and Singulair (works most of the time). I have a history of CEP & under care of pulmonologist, my maintenance meds are Brio inhailer and 5mg predisone every-other day. It's well controlled most of the time, with occasional flairups.
So, continuing with current situation, the vertigo became worse and I became extremely fatigued. Saturday I was useless and had to sleep most of the day, same yesterday. On waking this AM, I thought I was better, until I sat up and the room went into orbit. Now I'm nauseous also (I just drank my coffee, perhaps that was a mistake?) I've been mindful of fluid intake & drinking extra water... My ears are clogged and a bit painful in the left, but I have no fever at all. Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. I will say that the website seems to imply "wait it out" but that's not acceptable, imho. I work. I'm a mom. Waiting it out is not a good option (especially since I essentially have since Friday...) Again, If you can clue me into anything, at minimum I can take it to my doctor whenever the can get me in for an appointment.
Kindest Regards,
Jin R.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see doctor as soon as possible

Detailed Answer:
Unfortunately vertigo is very difficult to treat in most cases. It can sometimes come from an infection so it is very important for you to see a doctor for an exam as soon as possible.
Make sure that you keep hydrated and are taking your zyrtec daily.
In some cases vertigo is caused by problems in the semicircular canals in the inner ear and a doctor may be able to do some head manipulations that get rid of it immediately.
Bottom line is this: there are no great home remedies and you may get some relief quickly if you see a doctor and they can determine the exact cause and initiate treatment.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 10 minutes later
Good morning, Dr. XXXXXXX
I appreciate your advice, my doc is a DO, I'll bring up the suggestion - I hope he can do just that (I had no idea that was a treatment, so again, thank you!) I have an appointment for 09:45.
May your day be easy.

Kindest Regards,
Jin R.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
hello and thanks for the follow up

Detailed Answer:
Actually DOs are better trained in these procedures than MDs so that is great. I hope you get some relief soon
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson