question-icon

What surgical options exist for severe autophony in the ear?

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018
Question: What surgical options exist for a severe autophony problem in the right ear ? I have been seeing an ENT doctor for the past year, and had consults with two inner ear specialists this year, and all they keep telling me is to get a hearing aid,which i briefly tried, but it was a waste of time. HELP !!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Autophony

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to health care Magic and thanks for putting up the query
The most common cause for autonomy is patulous eustachian tube. The other reasons can be ear wax or middle ear disease.
You should get a impedance audiometry done and eustachian tube function test done to rule out any eustachian tube dysfunction.
As you have already visited ENT SPECIALIST, it is unlikely to be ear wax.
Please send me the audiometry report based on which you have been advised hearing aids.
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist