• question-icon

What causes mild intermittent chest pain while on Klonopin and Abilify?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, I take 10 mg of abilify in the morning and 1 mg of klonopin three times a day. I also take centrum vitamins. I have been taking the abilify for about 4 months, the klonopin for about 6 months, and the centrum vitamins for about one month. A couple of days ago after taking my evening dose of klonopin, I had some mild intermittent chest pain. Last night, about 5 hours after taking my evening dose of klonopin, I again had some mild intermittent chest pain when I awoke. My blood pressure and pulse rate were normal. I read that taking abilify and centrum vitamins can cause heart problems. Here is the article where it says that: http://www.ehealthme.com/drug-interaction/abilify/centrum/
In this article, it has a lot of heart problems listed as side effects. What do you think my chest pain was from? Do you think it was a side effect or an interaction from the medications? Or do you think it was just anxiety related? Please tell me what you think the chest pain was from and if it is safe to continue taking these three medications.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I think it is anxiety related

Detailed Answer:
Dear xxxxxx
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

It is advisable to get ECG done when you have chest discomfort next time as it will confirm or refute my opinion with complete clarity.

Having said this I feel it was anxiety related. My opinion is based on the following facts.
1. Your age
2. History of persistent anxiety
3. A known fact that klonopin causes paradoxical anxiety on some instances and it is possible that you experienced paradoxical effect rather than a true heart ailment
4. Abilify is one of the best options when it comes to heart. A heart complication with abilify is one of the rarest thing to occur.
5. There is enough data to suggest that intake of abilify with centrum is completely safe. I understand that there is article but it is just like a case report which have least value in scientific world.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist