What causes low blood pressure?

Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi, I had a kidney infection when I was a baby that left me with some scarring and proteinuria. I am now 25, my serum creatinine has been stable for the last 10 years at around 175 umol/l. I am classified as having mild proteinuria. At last check, my protein creatinine ratio was 80mg/mmol. I am on 5mg of tritace for this. Other medications include 5mg crestor and 100mg allopurinol. My issue is that I started feeling dizzy after exercise, even light exercise. Saw my g.p and he said that it may be due to low BP, so he asked me to take my meds at night instead of morning. Even the morning that I skipped the meds (in order to switch to taking them at night) my BP was 123/58. This morning it was 117/55. Is it harmful to have that low diastolic?
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
A scar in the kidney can produce high blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
A scar in the kidney can produce high blood pressure after few years. I understand that you had scarring of the kidneys due to infection in your childhood.

You have been on BP drugs which are good and have got a beneficial effect on the scar in the kidney. There can be huge fluctuations in some once they start taking these drugs. So one should be vary of this and monitor the BP.

It's not surprising that the BP going down after physical activity. A scar produces a condition salt sensitive hypertension where BP is sensitive to changes in salt intake. During exercise you lose salt and water due to perspiration then BP decreases. If you can not tolerate this much fall in BP you can slightly decrease the dose of BP drug in the night and see. Drink water frequently specially after exercise to avoid dehydration.

Yes, low diastolic BP is harmful to the body if it is persistently low. It can be due to dehydration and can produce heart problems if present for a longer duration.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 39 minutes later
I meant that my BP at rest is between 117/55- 123/58. Is that too low, or is that ok?

Should i talk to my specialist about maybe reducing the dosage, or is this blood pressure good for me?

I think the low BP is due to my medicine not dehydration, I drink about 3 litres of water a day.
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
yes. your low BP is due to the drug therapy and dizziness is due to dehydration aggravated by exercise. you can talk to your GP regarding a slight decrease in your BP drug. but that much BP is not troublesome usually and that number is not harmful.you can keep checking your BP and what I meant is to drink water around 2 glasses when ever you feel dizziness. it doesn't depend on your whole day intake of water.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E