What causes low blood pressure levels?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I had an EGD this week and lately my blood pressure is running lower than usual. This AM I had a reading of 124/44. I'm not having chest pain as such but twinges that originate around my heart.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What used to be your usual values?

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed this information fully. I will like to know if you have any other symptoms such as dizziness, light headdress, fast heart rate, etc. If these are absent, I will like that you use another blood pressure measuring machine to control and make sure yours is working well. If it is confirmed to be working well and the values valid, we will need to review the drugs. You may be taking a higher dose than needed at this time. Without any symptoms of low blood pressure, your machine is most likely the source of the problem.

I hope this guides. I wish you well. Keep me posted when you try this out with the results.

Kind regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
My machine was compared with a manual device last week and found accurate. My usual values are 120/60s with Lisinopril at 20 Mg daily. The extremely low diastolic values startled me and prompted me to begin this inquiry. I have a 100% right ventricle blockage with collaterals. I have been told by my Cardiologist that any kind of surgical repair is not an option. Just how low can my diastolic reading be without additional complications? I dropped my Lisinopril dosage from 20 to 15 Mg when these low numbers began to appear this week. For example 101/56 resting, pulse of 51.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
As long as there are no symptoms, you are fine!

Detailed Answer:

Blood pressure as a value only gets concerning if it causes damage. NO matter how low the diastolic gets , as long as there are no symptoms suggestive of a low blood pressure such as dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, fainting, etc., there is no need to get worried. I will recommend you continue monitoring and only raise an alarm if you start developing symptoms suggestive of low blood pressure.

Keep me posted with further reading in the next several days for more evaluation and guidance.

I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Thank you Doctor. That's what I needed to know.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wish you well!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for your kind words.

I wish you well and stay well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad