What causes lethargy?

Question
I feel lethargic at times despite enough sleep and good food habits
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more details

Detailed Answer:

Stress, Anaemia, Hypothyroidism, Infections are few reasons which can cause Lethargy.

I would like to know few more details which can help me in coming to a conclusion:
1. When do you usually feel lethargic? Duration, frequency and after any particular scenario?
2. Have you got any recent blood tests? If yes, please attach the reports or mail me at YYYY@YYYY with subject as ATTN: Dr Ashwin Bhandari.
3. Where you admitted to hospital for any cause?
4. Do you have any other symptoms?
5. Are you gaining weight inspite of having low appetite?

Please provide me with above details which will help me in helping you better.

Waiting for your reply.

Regards.

Follow-up: What causes lethargy? 38 hours later
Hi Doc

This happens to me during the week at work. My eyes feel heavy and i yawn too much. Frequency: atleast twice a week. Duration: SOmetimes all throughout the day. Scenario: When i am in closed room meetings for long

Attaching the recent reports.

No i was not admitted in hospital recently.

No other symptoms. And i am not gaining or losing weight. I have a normal appetite.

Brief Answer:
Follow the instructions

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the details and reports.

I have gone through your reports and details and feel that the lethargy is most probably due to stress. But would like to rule out any thyroid dysfunction and also due to low hemoglobin.

Please get your thyroid profile and Complete blood count done so that we can rule out these causes.

Follow these instructions as this will help you in improving your symptoms:
1. Regular physical exercises - Brisk walking is considered to be the best physical exercise. This will improve your physical and mental health. And as you have PCOD this will also help in balancing your hormones.
2. Meditation or yoga - this will improve your concentration levels along with increase the oxygen supply to your brain keeping you fresh for the whole day.
3. Meals at regular intervals and have plenty of green leafy vegetables and fruits.
4. Drink plenty of water (min of 2 - 3lts/day) and fruit juices.
5. A glass of water an hour before and after meals with make sure of adequate intake of water per day.
6. Avoid excessive consumption of tea or coffee. Two cups are recommended one in the morning and the other in the evening.

Please get the investigations done and upload the reports so that we can come to a conclusion regarding the cause.

Hope this answers your query. If any further complications, will be happy to help.

Regards.