What causes speech and depth perception difficulties with visual hallucinations?
Need more information and possible differential diagnosis
Hi Fxxxx.gxxxxxxx, thanks for asking from HCM.
I can understand your concern. Your husband symptomatology is suggesting altered higher mental functions especially judgement ability, language. He is also experiencing confusion and visual hallucinations. Such manifestations at his age (53 years) could be due to neurological disorder like
- Early onset of Alzheimer disease
- Ischemic dementia
- Diffuse cerebral atrophy
- Metabolic/alcoholic encephalopathy
- Damage of frontal and parietal lobe (traumatic/tumor/ischemic/auto-immune/age related/degenerative)
- Multivitamin deficiency like B12, folic acid, vitamin E
- Thyroid dysfunction (hypothyroidism)
- Psychological illness like depression or psychosis
To conclude something, I need to know more about him. Please provide me answers of following questions like
- How is his memory? Is he forgetting names/places/date also?
- Is there any history of long term alcohol and tobacco intake?
- Is there any past history of significant head injury?
- Is he a diabetic/hypertensive?
- Is there any history of abusive behaviour/urination in clothes/total change in personality?
- Is there any history of mental stress?
I hope you will understand my point. Please ask your neurologist to check his higher mental functions like memory, judgement ability, language, empathy, thought process, abstract thinking and all. It will confirm the degree of dementia.
If you have any doubts, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes hallucinations
- Can cipro cause hallucinations
- Can migraines cause hallucinations
- Can dilaudid cause hallucinations
- Visual hallucinations causes
- Flucloxacillin ? cause hallucinations
- What causes hypnopompic hallucinations
- What could cause hallucinations and strange visions
- What causes hallucinations after left side paralysis
- Hallucination causes
- What causes feeling of fluid rushing from throat to base of spine?
- Suggest remedies for migraine headache for a thyroid patient
- What do my MRI scan test report indicate?
- What causes lower back pain while on bladder control product?
- Is there a nerve in back that would cause numbness in foot?
- What causes sharp pain in back of head and neck?
- Suggest treatment for migraine
- Suggest treatment for side effects of Depakote
- Does intake of Dart help in treating headache?
- What causes tingling and pain in hands and feet?