What causes lethargy, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and dark yellow urine?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,

I had contracted a gastro from my relative who had salmonella (they didn't cook it properly at a public stove) and I had nausea, vomitting and diarrhoea. So of course I was dehydrated and feeling extremely ill. However, my problem is that although gastro and vomitting have ceased, why do I still feel nauseous? I still feel very weak and my urine is dark yellow. It's been 3 days since it stopped. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs antibiotics, fluids and urinalysis

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through. Based on the history you have shared, it can be a sequalae of enteric fever and may also be partially treated enteric. In either case you would need an extended course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin alone for 10-14 days or with combination with azithromycin if fever or gastric symptoms recurred.

This lethargy can be post enteric and may subside after few weeks but meanwhile keep replacing fluids and electrolytes by Plain water or with Oral rehydration salts. This will also make urine less yellow and increase the generalised weakness too.

If symptoms persisted kindly get liver function tests and serum electrolytes done and treat of any derangement is observed.

Use boiled water and review your water source. Also review the generalised hygiene conditions in kitchen and other edibles you consume. Using antacids like ranitidine and motility agents like domperidone will help with nausea.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj