• question-icon

What causes left sided abdominal pain above hip bone?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,
I have some slight pain at this stage on my left abdomen area, which seems to be related to the colon just above the left hipbone. I have had constipation with hard stool on and off for at least a few months and the stool has been hard causing rectal bleeding at times.
Could the hard or compacted stool cause damage or scratching in the lower colon area as well? Can the colon area become infected causing the pain?
For the rectal bleeding, I have been prescribed proctosedyl but note it has neomycin, which can lead to inner ear imbalance, should it be used and how should it be applied given that the bleeding is not really just completely external.

Thankyou.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get Colonoscopy

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am a Gastroenterologist.

Left side abdominal pain just above the hip bone with intermittent bleeding can be due to infection, Inflammatory bowel disease, Rectal ulcer, hemorrhoid or some growth. So I will suggest you to get colonoscopy examination

Now coming to your questions:
1.Yes hard stool during passage may cause ulcer or fissure in the lower colon

2.Yes infection of the colon can cause pain

3.I dont think neomycin is used these day for any infection. For infection of colon there are very good oral antibiotics available to be taken orally like ofloxacin and ornidazole. So I will suggest you to avoid that as infection as you said is present inside, it has got high side effects

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you . Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Amit Jain 59 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

I will consider a colonoscopy but would a sigmoidoscopy also be OK given the location of the pain?

I was prescribed the proctosedyl ointment it contains neomycin B sulfate as part of the ingredients along with steroids. Is there a better option for ointment to treat rectal/anal bleeding?

Thanks,
Regards.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
colonoscopy will be better

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back

I think colonoscopy will be better as there is bleeding also, to find any synchronus lesion.

Treatment for bleeding will depend on the cause. So get diagnosis first.

I hope i have answered your query. Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist