What causes red discharge with diarrhea from the rectum?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i have a steady light flow of a red sustance coming from my rectum. i had diarea this afternoon. no falls no pain.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

This is likely blood. Blood can sometimes be associated diarrhea especially if there is a bacterial infection though can occur otherwise as well.

Other causes of rectal bleeding besides infection are--(1) diverticulitis which is infection/inflammation of the diverticula (out pockets in the colon)

(2)side effect of medication- the use of medications to stop clotting can sometimes cause excess bleeding eg aspirin, warfarin

(3)mass- can be benign or malignant , in the colon

(4) inflammatory bowel disease- crohns disease, ulcerative colitis

It would be best to be seen by your doctor. This should entail an abdominal examination, pr examination. A stool sample may need to be sent to a lab.

If you did not have a recent colonoscopy (within the last 5 years), then one may be suggested based on examination findings

Specific treatment would depend on the cause but general treatment consists of--(1) holding off solid food till there is a 4 hour window with no symptoms. Restart with small amounts of dry foods

(2)using fluid and electrolytes to replace what was loss- eg oral rehydration packets or dilute sport drinks

(3)probiotics would help if an infection is present

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions