What does bleeding during bowel movement indicate?
Need to visit a proctologist or GI doctor
I have read your enquiry, and I understand your concern.
Bright red blood in your stool is from rectal causes. You say that you have hemorrhoids and ulcerative colitis, and both these conditions cause rectal bleeding.
It may be that your internal hemorrhoids have grown and now they can accumulate more blood, thus bleed more after having a bowel movement. It can be constipation that may cause annal fissure. I suppose these may be the most probable causes, since the bleeding is associated with bowel movement. Other conditions would show a more constant pattern of bleeding, which would exacerbate during bowel movements, but would still be present during the whole day.
The definite cause of the problem is hard to define without a proper exam, which in this case is a Rectosigmoidoscopy.
The proctologist or the GI doctor, will insert a short device in your rectum, through which he/she will be able to see the lesion that is bleeding and to determine the right approach of treatment.
This examination is recommended because it can also screen for malignant conditions, such as rectal cancer, that may also start with signs of rectal bleeding.
Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Occasional bleeding during bowel movement
- Nose bleed during bowel movement
- Could bleeding from rectum during bowel movement indicate something crucial
- Bleeding during bowel movement pregnancy
- Anel bleeding during bowel movements
- Painless bleeding during bowel movement
- Bleeding during bowel movement is this serious
- Vaginal bleeding during bowel movements
- Is it normal to bleed during bowel movement
- What causes bleeding during the bowel movement
- What causes disorientation while on Phenytoin?
- What causes low platelet and hemoglobin counts while treating dengue?
- What causes bleeding from scrotum?
- Are Tegaderm wound dressings breathable?
- What causes pain in the left upper thigh?
- What causes severe abdominal pain?
- How can a wound on the side of the toe be treated?
- What causes blood in mucus along with cold?
- Suggest treatment for post-nasal drip causing green phlegm in the throat
- How can a lump on the back be treated?