What does bleeding during bowel movement indicate?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: blood from rectum when I have bowel movement (frequent) bright red probably not over 3 tbsp. but quite a lot more than I've ever seen from hemorrhoids in the past
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to visit a proctologist or GI doctor

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
I have read your enquiry, and I understand your concern.
Bright red blood in your stool is from rectal causes. You say that you have hemorrhoids and ulcerative colitis, and both these conditions cause rectal bleeding.
It may be that your internal hemorrhoids have grown and now they can accumulate more blood, thus bleed more after having a bowel movement. It can be constipation that may cause annal fissure. I suppose these may be the most probable causes, since the bleeding is associated with bowel movement. Other conditions would show a more constant pattern of bleeding, which would exacerbate during bowel movements, but would still be present during the whole day.
The definite cause of the problem is hard to define without a proper exam, which in this case is a Rectosigmoidoscopy.
The proctologist or the GI doctor, will insert a short device in your rectum, through which he/she will be able to see the lesion that is bleeding and to determine the right approach of treatment.
This examination is recommended because it can also screen for malignant conditions, such as rectal cancer, that may also start with signs of rectal bleeding.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad