What causes itchy sores all over arms and thighs?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have sores all over my arms, thighs facing forward, left ankle, and my stomach. Intense itch. Worsens in the evening. I am an addict but have quit all drugs for a long time (including cigarettes for 1 year) except for one. Mucinex DM Extra Strength, 1200 mg per day or more. Yes, that is a lot. I have seen a dermatologist twice with no help. I am seeing my family doctor tomorrow. This is getting out of control
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
?? drug allergy or liver abnormality

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and attached images with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

Based on the provided information and the images, you seem to be scratching the sores quite a lot which have led them to bleed (open sores prone to infection). I feel that your dermatologist has only been trying to prevent infections (bacterial and fungal) due to the open sores and has not really concentrated on finding the cause/source of the infection.

Please do meet your family physician at the earliest sir. Taking into consideration your history sir, the most probable causes for these sores/rash are:
-An allergic reaction to mucinex
-A possible liver abnormality that has resulted from the use of drugs in the history and currently

I would recommend the following things to request at your doctors:
-A complete blood profile (including leukocytes, ESR, eosinophils, LFT, etc.)
-A swab test from an open sore
other investigations may be suggested based on the physical examination conducted sir.

In the meantime, please do try to avoid contact with the sores and rashes, try to wear lose comfortable clothing (preferably cotton), and also if possible avoid contact with clothing (for example: wear a sleeveless t-shirt to avoid contact with sores on the arm, etc.). Also drink plenty of water to help with quick expulsion of the drug from your system (if at all it is the drug that is the root cause for your symptoms).

Please write back to me with information on your doctors advice, the test results, and all other information so I can guide you further sir. Wishing you lots of luck. Please feel free to write to me about anything, I am always available to help.

Best wishes.