What causes itchy skin rash?
This is in relation to some skin reaction that has started recently. I have attached some pics of the affected area, it seems that there appears a mark or a patch in the affected area. I used to have itching sensation in this area for almost 1 week, before the mark started appearing.
I have dry skin, and I am in Sydney where the weather is very cold (currently).
Can you please let me know on:
1. the reason for this,
2. any medicine or ointment which I should apply and
3. is this very serious.
Kindly elaborate and send more pictures
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.
I can understand your concern for rash on face. It appears to be contact allergy to some contact allergen.
In view to help you better I request you to kindly elaborate certain points:
- Since how long you have this rash.
- Is there any itching or burning over the same. If yes then what is the grade of itching- mild/moderate/severe.
- Are you using any any cosmetic product or trying to touch the area too often.
As I tried to magnify the picture it got bit out of magnification so I request you to kindly upload few more good resolution pictures of your affected areas so that I can analyze it better. Kindly send good resolution pictures of both the sides focusing the area of concern which can be seen on higher magnification. For uploading the pictures you have a facility on the right side of the page or can send on:
with "attention:Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia"
Hope to hear soon from your side.
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
The itching started 4 months back. I had same problem near eye area. The burning etching started on skin of eye lid. Then many wrinkles developed in that area (attached photo). I had problem even to open my eyes. Then I applied Advantan cream and it disappeared. But I starts after some time and after applying the cream it goes away. From that time my skin near lips used to get very dry and itchy and some white particles used to appear of dry skin (attached photo). I used to apply ponds cold cream on that area then it disappeared. Now it started in XXXXXXX with itching on my face. The itching was moderate. And suddenly black patch appeared on both side of lips. I had never use any chemical beauty product except ponds cold cream. Now I apply green tea-cucumber moisturizer and Derm Aid soft 0.5% cream ( twice a day). The patch is almost gone now. Only little bit is remaining but still I want to know the reason of this problem and whether it is any serious issue. Can you suggest any medicines for this. I have attached photos of affected area.
Contact allergic/Atopic /Seborrheic dermatitis
Welcome again and thanks for posting your detail along with pictures.
After reading your problem I can make out the that it is "dermatitis" of skin or in simple words inflammation of the skin.
There can be three important causes of it:
- Contact allergic dermatitis: due to contact of any irritant material such as any creams or new cosmetic product or sometimes anything coming in contact with the areas can cause the problem. So there can be initial redness and itching with mild pain sensation.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: Due to inflammation of oil rich skin such as face and scalp.
- Atopic dermatitis: It can be manifestation of mild allergic phenomenon where there can be family history of some hypersensitivity can be present such as for skin or respiratory.
In nay of these conditions as we repeatedly touch it or if we scratch it or due to exposure to environmental factors such as sunlight, sweating, dust and hot/dry/ humid climate, it can get aggravated.
Even in some cases sunlight itself can act as main factor causing rash.Now any of these are quite simple problems and are not at all serious issues. All of these are quite simple problem which we see in our day to day practice and persist for only the time till the aggravating factor is present. So the most important part in your management is avoidance of the aggravating factors enumerated all above.
-Do let me know and try to remember that dryness or sunlight or any cosmetic or deodorant could be the aggravating factor.
-If you have bit of dandruff problem in scalp or if you felt anything similar anywhere else in body.
- If there is any family or personal history of allergic tendency or respiratory allergy or sneezing problem or asthma.
For the betterment kindly follow the suggestions below:
1. Avoid direct sunlight and dry/hot /humid climate.
2. Do not apply any cosmetic and not even your green tea-cucumber moisturizer. Rather should use a plane moisturizer without any fragrance.
3. Stay in cool environment (preferably AC) and avoid sweating.
4. Do not Pinch, pop or squeeze or rub any area. I suggest yo to not touch the area unnecessarily as can aggravate the condition.
5. Do XXXXXXX warm compression over the affected area. Take a wet towel soaked in mildly warm water and apply it for 5-10 minutes for 3-4 times a day
For the part of treatment kindly follow the suggestions below:
1. As you are applying Derm Aid soft 0.5% cream which contains hydrocortisone in it, is one of the safest cream to apply. You can continue the same till the time you find redness. Apply it in a thin layer in morning and at night time. Apply in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to naked eye. You can apply it for 7 days and then stop it after that.
3. If there is any irritation or itching is present then can take tablet “Loratadine” or "Deslotatadine" tablet by mouth up to three to four times also if the itching is more.
I hope above informations will help you. I will be glad to answer any further of your queries.
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD -Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases
There is a family history for skin sensitivity. My father and grandmother (fathers's mother) has the skin problem. They have itchy skin and recently my father is detected with vitiligo. Is there any chances that the itchy skin is start of any such skin problem or disease?
I am in Australia now and the climate here is very cold now (10-15 degrees). My skin becomes very dry.
Thanks and regards.
Atopic dermatitis; Suggestions as advised
Hello young lady,
Welcome to the forum again and thanks for your further follow up.
After getting a family history of itchy skin I can make out that the condition might be in close relation to either Atopic dermatitis or seborrheic dermatitis. As you are using least of cosmetics so the possibility of contact allergic dermatitis is itself been out.
Both Atopic dermatitis or seborrheic dermatitis manifest in the same manner as you are experiencing but as you have not five n any history of flaking or itching in the scalp so the possibility of Atopy is higher.
In general this type of allergy manifest in major form during childhood but in many a cases I see that it can manifest minor form during late adulthood too, as in yourself.
It is very mild form which is present in yourself. Do not worry about the same. It is quite often seen problem and you have very mild form of it. This condition improves by itself and there is no major impact on any body process.
It is more pronounced with change of weather especially dry weather and contact with synthetic garments and with sometimes woolens too.
For prevention the best part is by proper moisturization of skin and avoidance of aggravating factors. I suggest you to apply basically plane moisturizing cream over the affected area. The moisturizing cream should not contain any kind of fragrance in it or at the maximum very mild of fragrance in it.
If at all the redness is present then in my patients I prefer for either hydrocortisone or if it is even higher then only fluticasone cream ( not ointment as ointment is also bit higher potency). Apply any of the cream in least possible amount so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. One pea size amount is sufficient to apply on palm size area.
Do not apply beyond 7-15 days and do proper moisturization with bland cream.
I again reassure you for the simplicity of the condition. A last word of suggestion is not to touch the area repeatedly as it causes more aggravation and therefore chances of pigmentation.
I hope these informations will clarify all your doubts. I will be glad to answer any further queries or if not then can close the discussion and please rate the answer.
With good health wishes & regards,
Dr Sanjay Kanodia
My all good wishes for your healthy life
Dear young lady,
You are most welcome!!!
I wish early recovery from the problem. Do not worry it is simple problem and never vcause any major issues.
Do take care of yourself.
If you want any further guidance in future then can ask me directly at:
I will be glad to answer any further queries or if not then can close the discussion and please rate the answer.
"My all good wishes for your healthy life"
Dr Sanjay Kanodia
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the remedy for itchy skin rash on body
- Itchy skin rash what could be the reason
- Sudden itchy skin rash causes
- What causes to have recurrent itchy skin rashes
- What causes itchy skin rash
- Itchy skin rash on neck
- Very itchy skin rash
- Identify itchy skin rash
- Red itchy skin rash
- Itchy skin rash that causes bruises
- Marks on penile shaft, looks like wart and is rough. What could it be?
- Have red raised skin with clear pus pores on arm. Using neosporin on it....
- Has dark patches on inside of upper lips. What could be the reason for...
- Have small pimples on foreskin. How to remove this?
- Have had a rash near anus it does not itch. Tried Hydrocortizone, no...
- Had a blood draw. Having a bruise or rash at that spot. Should I be...
- Have itchy pimple on penis. No relief after applying cream. Which...
- Have blood blister on mole. Had removed it. Possibility of melanoma?
- Has rash that looks like pimple. Treatment?
- Having scalp abscess. Scalp open up several layers with lesions and...