• question-icon

    What causes itchy rashes all over body?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi there,

I've recently been experiencing some itchyness and rashes/flaky skin all over my body (even my inner ears). I'm trying to cut out any recent changes to see if that helps, but will see a dermatologist if it continues. However, I suspect it might be a form of Seborrheic Dermatitis.

My main concern if there are any other risks if it is, in fact, the case. For example, I know Seborrheic Dermatitis is considered an inflammatory disease. If you have skin inflammation, does that mean other internal things (organs, blood vessels, etc.) are also inflamed? What about markers of inflammation like CRP that are important for health? I guess I just want to make sure this condition doesn't put me at risk for other things (heart disease, etc.) because it's inflammatory in nature.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seborrheic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query.
It can be seborrheic dermatitis.
It only affects skin not the internal organs.
Can you please upload a photograph of the involved area.
This Will help me in giving a closer diagnosis.
Waiting for your response.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 22 hours later
Hi there, and thanks so much for your response!

So just to clarify, even if this rash continues, you aren't alarmed about internal inflammation or long-term serious health consequences (aside from the rash itself)?

I'm attaching a photo of the most prominent area, which is my neck. It's a little tough to see, but you can see some red rings if you look closely, and this part tends to itch a lot, as does the rest of my face, my crotch, sometimes even my scalp and inner ears. Intensity seems to vary.

Thanks for your help/advice!
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up and photograph.
It is seborrhea.

It is a common inflammatory condition with fungal infection.
Just relax it is a common thing and it will never spread to internal organs.
You can use Clotrimazole cream twice daily and use Ketoconazole shampoo.

This should help you.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later
Thanks so much for the help. I'll look into the products you mentioned!

Did I likely do anything to cause this? Will it eventually go away/clear up with your suggestions?

Also, a couple new symptom...the tip of my tongue feels mildly irritated...is this also consistent? Also, the patch near my neck feels a bit rougher than the rest of my skin and has flaked a bit.

Thanks for the patience with my followup questions!
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your skin is sensitive

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.
You have not done anything wrong.
Your skin is sensitive.
Just reduce your oil intake.
Neck skin is rough because it mainly affects the neck.
Just follow the advice given by me.
You should get response.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Rahul Kumar


Practicing since :2010

Answered : 6303 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Skin inflammation

doctor1 MD

My family gave my son for both Amoxi Clav 500/125 mg and Fucidinm H cream for skin inflammation. I just wonder how soon the disease will under...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am going to have surgery to remove my thyroid due to large goiter and I am wondering what the risk of having surgery is for someone with a...

doctor1 MD

I have had a high cardiac crp reading.. now I am experiencing a inflamed feeling on either side of my neck..could that be caused from inflamed...

doctor1 MD

I just finished taking Cipro I got a bad sunburn - 1) how long after finishing Cipro will I still be sensitive to sun 2) how worried should I be...

doctor1 MD

my m and other has irritation and skin inflammation around genital and colon areas. she was in hospital a week ago for a week for a bladder...

doctor1 MD


I have been suffering from skin infection for a long time now.

During my childhood time I used to have sinusitis problem. Later on skin...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

140 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Rahul Kumar
  • Q - Developed itchy rashes on both sides of torso and insulin dependent....

  • Q - Used Z derm for scrotum itching followed by blood stains. Noticed needle...

  • Q - Having itchy rashes on buttocks, side of arms, side of legs and inner...

  • Q - Having small patches and blister on finger. Using slivers skin moisture...

  • Q - What is the cure for body itching?

  • Q - Rash on the side of face with itching. Suggest treatment

  • Q - How to remove black marks and blade marks from face?

  • Q - Suggest the medication for twitching under eyes

  • Q - White and slightly raised lump under the skin on the palm. What does it...

  • Q - Suggest treatment for hair fall problem caused by dandruff?