What causes itchy and painful rashes all over body?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have an itch since the middle of July. It is painful and sometimes it feels like a bite. It is all over my body. I went to my doctor and she put me on Claritin (?) and Sarna lotion. I take Tylenol for pain. The later in the day we go, the worse it gets. A blood test was taken and it is not Shingles. The abrasions are not close together to signify a rash. No one else in the family is affected.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could you please upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone carefully through the details. If the rashes had an allergic component, you should have felt relieved with Claritin. However, since that has not helped, I would insist you to upload an image of the affected areas. You can do so using the facility on the upper right of this page. Based on your inputs I would surely try to help.
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 22 hours later
The Clairiton did not help.

My camera is dead and recharging. The other camera is on the cell phone and I am uncertain on how to send it to you. I will ask for help on the technical end of things.

I will try to explain it to you. It is not clustered, but spread all over my body, except for my face and feet. Some are raised with a red circle around it; some are not. The itching intensifies later in the day, to the point I feel like I have to strip all my clothes off. The pain level at that time is a 9. That is when I take the Tylenol, and it takes a good hour to help.

I have changed laundry detergent, and body soap. The bath towels are used to absorb as much water without rubbing. A fan is used to help the drying. My fingernails are trimmed way back.

When this first started, it was mainly on my chest. That sort of ruled out bug bites and poison ivy, oak, etc.

When we get the photo done, we will send it to you, but for now, it is a problem.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Application of hydrocortisone cream may help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
Try applying hydrocortisone cream over the affected areas. If that does not help, it should be preferable to visit a dermatologist. As of now it would perhaps be better to avoid swimming since it involves prolonged exposure to water. But moderate amounts of swimming should not be too detrimental either.
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
I have tried the Hydrocortisone 10 cream, and that didn't help.

My doctor made an appointment with a dermatologist and the appointment isn't until February. I checked around the area and there is not another dermatologist available.

I am at my wits end. I don't know what to do. Someone suggested going to the emergency room, but that is for emergencies. That is why I went online. Can't you help me in some way, like guide me in the path I should be pursuing? This is really painful.

My grandson will be coming back in 10 days. He is one year old, and I babysit him. Is he is danger?? My husband has not had any affects of this. I need to know at least that much.
Brief Answer:
Try clotrimazole. It could help

Detailed Answer:
I understand your anxiety. But without looking at it I find it hard to comment or treat. As the next step I could suggest you to apply candid (clotrimazole) lotion and see if it makes a difference.