Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

What causes irritation and mood swings after hysterectomy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1279 Questions
I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago but still have my tubes and ovaries, my breasts get very tender and sore often. I get very moody also. I am very irritable lately.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly reply few questions Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Kindly reply few questions so that I can guide you further: Since when you are having these symptoms? Do you have any associated discharge from the breasts? Since when you are having mood up sets? is it present all the day or only for some occasions? Please ask if you have more questions, and do write back with the answers so that I can guide you further. Awaiting your response. Regards Arif
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes irritation and mood swings after hysterectomy? 22 minutes later
My breasts have been tender and sore most of the time for about 3 years now. There is no discharge from my breasts. I get mood upsets frequently and the can last all day sometimes. This moodiness has been going on for about the time I had my hysterectomy.
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Hormonal imbalance or POF-premature ovarian failur Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for the follow up answers. I have anlayzed your queries, all your symptoms seems to be due to hormonal deficiency, sometimes after hysterectomy due to decreased blood supply to the ovaries, there will be decline in the hormonal production. Or else it could be due to POF-premature ovarian failure. To confirm this you need to get a pelvic scan to know the ovarian volume and hormonal assay i.e FSH-follicular stimulating hormone to know the functioning of ovaries. Sometimes even thyroid abnormalities can also present with similar complaints, hence I also advise you to get thyroid function tests. After analyzing the reports your doctor will decide whether you need hormonal replacement or just symptomatic treatment. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor