What causes involuntary jerking of muscles?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have muscle jerking that drives me crazy. They are visible and strong. Can side effects from ssri's cause this? While typing fingers will hit the keys double time
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Deficiencies, Stress, excess caffeine, brain disorders

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Do you have muscle jerking in all 4 limbs?

Does this keeling stop on sleeping?

Are you Diabetic or on any kind of medication for any disease ?
This could be possible neurological disorder, deficiency of Calcium or Magnesium or certain drugs or caffeine excess.

You must have a diet fuck in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. Keep well hydrated. Acid smoking, alcohol and junk food. Get 6 to 8 hours of sleep daily. Avoid excess coffeeor tea. Do Yoga and deep breathing for stress relief. Do daily brisk walking exercise for 45 minutes. Apply hot water bag to painful areas of regions of muscle spasm.

Kindly answer my queries for me to be in a better position to help you.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 14 minutes later
Yes it is in all 4 limbs. Also in my stomach. I don't drink a lot of caffeine. I do not drink or smoke. I am not diabetic. I have no disease. I have had vertigo a couple of times In the last year. I take Celexa and effexor for depression but I've taken Celexa for years. The Effexor is new but the jerking started way before I started taking it.

I have had blood work done. It came back good.
Brief Answer:
Sleep disturbances, Calcium and Magnesium deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

If you are having decreased sleep or non refreshing sleep, this can also contribute to increased irritability of the nervous system.

Kindly get tested for Serum Vitamin D, Serum Magnesium levels.

Eat a healthy balanced diet. Exercise regularly.

I hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Aashish Raghu