What causes intermittent nausea?

Posted on Wed, 14 May 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had nausea off and on four about 4 months now. Had a upper scoping done, removed polups . Could find nothing wrong and biopsies came back fine. Have a history of acid reflux disease, hernia, diverticilosis , I am on nexium 2 times a day . I have had gasteritis in the past and that is why the scoping was done. No other symptons. I go 3 or 4 days feeling fine and a week with nausea, another few days ok and then nausea. I wake up with it sometimes, but mostly after anything i eat, I get nausea,
Also, I'm on calfate to coat my stomach before eating, but still get nausea....
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide the requested data...

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I have gone all your medical history carefully and feel sorry for the situation you are in.

To my opinion, having intermittent nausea might be partially related to your GI problems (reflux, hernia, diverticulosis, gastritis).

I am happy that everything was normal with upper endoscopy and biopsy.

I want to know how long have you been using calfate and was nausea prior to its use or after starting using it?

Thank you!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 hours later
I started with intestinal flu in January. after about 2 weeks, the nausea started again, and I've had it off and on ever since. Went to my doctor in February, she gave me calfate. I had nausea before calfate and ever since. It doesn't seem to help. I take it well before eating, but still get nausea afterwards. I take it hoping it will coat my stomach. In fact, it seems worse at times. It sure isn't getting better. The doc that did my scoping said she thought it was stress. I've had stress before, but never nausea because of it. When I don't have the nausea, I can eat. I eat and then get the nausea back. I'm so sick with this and have to push myself to do or go anywhere most of the time. Please suggest what I should do and thanks so much for listening. This time I've had the nausea about 9 days off and on. I seem to get better with it about 8 pm and don't have it again until morning after I eat again.
I answered the above question about an hour or so ago, don't know why it's saying 4 minutes....
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following suggestions...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for providing more of your medical data.

To my opinion, intermittent nausea might be related to reflux and anxiety as long as nothing abnormal was found during your upper endoscopy.

At this point, I advise to:
- give time to Nexium to do its job; if no improvement within 1 month, can increase the dosage
- try to control anxiety
- follow healthy diet and lifestyle changes

If no improvement, testing for H.pylori is suggested together with examination of stool for ova/parasites.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist