What causes intermittent lower abdominal pain?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have,had lower abdominal pain for a few days. Intermittent. Tonight it got worse and I have began to run a low grade fever, about 99.6. Pain is about a five. No diarrhea, vomiting, able to urinate and defecate. ER time?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be colitis or enteric fever

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Fever with abdominal pain with no altered GI habbits needs work up to look for any condition causing inflammation of gut. To start with a clinical examination is important to guide the doctor further as pain in each area with tenderness or guarding or stiffening of abdomen signifies something. It may range from local gut inflammation to enteric fever and many other possibilities.

However ultrasound abdomen and pelvis may be needed in any case alongwith Xray abdomen to look for gas shadows or air fluid levels. It will follow blood work up starting from Complete blood count and liver functions tests with serum amylase. Blood cultures may also be needed to rule out enteric fever.

Meanwhile while waiting for all this to kick in, you can use OTC analgesics like acetaminophen which will control the fever and give relief in pain too. If pain is sever anti spasmodic like drotaverine may also be needed. Drink more fluids and shift to soft diets avoiding heavy, greasy, high protien diets. Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar