What causes blood in stool?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What would dark red blood be in your stool and on the toilet paper mean.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
Please give additional information for me to assist you better:
Was the stool hard or normal?
Any associated pain while passing stool or after passing?
Any continued burning or pain sensation?
Any associated symptoms like pain in abdomen, bloating, constipation or changed bowel movement habits?
Any other diseases?

Awaiting.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 6 minutes later
I have been constipated over the past few weeks. There was not any burning sensation, or bloating. The stool looked pretty normal. The dark blood was on the toilet paper. Darker than normal dark if that makes sense. I have had a little pain in my lower back.
I take medication for my stomach but forget the name of it. I take it once a day.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Painless bleeding in stool is indicative of the following:
Hemorrhoids also called as piles is the commonest reason and constipation usually precipitate the the problem.
Fissure in ano is usually painful hence may not be the case.
Other rare causes are polyp, ulcer, procto-colitis and so on.
The only way is to get per-rectal digital examination and ano-proctoscopy, preferably colonoscopy considering the age of 54.
Please get these done.
ALso get the relevant blood and stool tests.
These will give the exact diagnosis so that a proper treatment can be planned.
I hope this answer helps you to get an early and proper diagnosis and plan for management.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad