What causes intermittent fever with chest congestion and back pain?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: my 15 year old daughter has run a fever on and off the past two days of 102-104. She says it feels like someone is standing on her chest, has stomach and back pain. She also is on her period. does this sound like the flu or possibly kidney stones? should I take her to the doctor?

she has no other symptoms
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
check for pneumonia first.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query to HCM,

I am afraid the likelihood of a kidney stone here is low and other commoner conditions that do present as such need to be checked first.

This sounds more of a lung infection (pneumonia). A clinical review from a doctor and a Chest X-Rray to me appear as urgent imperatives here.

It's when this has been excluded that conditions like peptic ulcer disease, kidney stones and rarely heart issues should be considered.

I strongly suggest consulting an emergency room physician for a Chest X-ray.

Kind regards,

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee