Owl Image

What causes intermittent abdominal pain?

Owl Image
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Question
Hi. I woke up with chest tightening 2 weeks ago. I sat up, got very dizzy, stood up and fainted. I fell on my face, busted my lip and chipped my tooth. Ever since I've had episodes of chest tightening, dizziness, and pre-syncope. I took magnesium supplements and the chest pains stopped. I increased salt and the dizzy spells stopped. But what is left is this intermittent, daily, abdominal pain. It radiates, on both sides, lower and middle, sometimes upper. Happens lying, sitting, standing. Its a more dull, not severe "sting"... did I hurt myself when I fell? pls help
Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following suggestions...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I understand your worries.

The abdominal pain you are having and which is intermittent, might be related to possible GI problems. Therefore, further investigations are needed to find out the real cause:
- abdominal ultrasound to exclude bowel problems
- upper endoscopy to exclude stomach issues
- chest X-ray to exclude stomach and lungs problems
- complete blood work to exclude anemia or other blood disorders
- biochemical testing (electrolytes, kidney/liver/pancreas function tests to exclude deficiencies, kidney/liver/pancreas problems respectively)
- urine analysis to exclude urinary tract infections/stones/sludge
- vaginal swab testing to exclude genital issues

Depending on the tests results, specific treatment will be prescribed.

Meanwhile, I advise to:
- increase water intake to prevent dehydration
- take mephenamic acid for the pain
- eat often and small portions
- avoid foods that can trigger or aggravate your symptoms

All the best!
Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes intermittent abdominal pain? 2 hours later
Thank you Doctor. This only occured a few days after the big fall on my face/stomach. Is it possible my abdomen is just "bruised?" It radiates, is uncomfortable when I lie on my stomach/stretch. Are there abdominal nerves you feel are injured? Do you feel this is a reaction to the impact?

Brief Answer:
Trauma during the fall is another cause...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXXXXX

Having experienced a big fall on your face/stomach is another cause to the pain due to injury during the fall.

Apart abdominal organs, your vertebral spine might be injured too. Such injury might have involved the nerves passing by; and make you feel the sensation of pain as you have been experiencing.

If you had any abdominal ultrasound or urine analysis done, and everything is ok, then, nothing to worry about serious problems. It is due to the trauma during the fall. It will be subside by time.

I advise to take mephenamic acid or acetaminophen to reduce the pain.

If you notice the pain being aggravated, should consult with your doctor for further evaluation as mentioned earlier.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes intermittent abdominal pain? 3 hours later
Thank you again doctor. One more thing... Along with the pain comes occassional bouts of mild-moderate nausea.... Loss of appetite, I don't want to eat. Belching. Already had appendix removed 8 yrs ago. Could it be that my gall bladder needs to be removed? Never had an issue with gall bladder before. (Sorry for the questions, I'm very nervous)

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be nervous...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

It should be further investigated before deciding for surgery. Abdominal ultrasound is needed to evaluate gallbladder condition. Liver/pancreas/kidney function tests are needed to get these organs specifically examined.

After a more specific investigation, it will be decided on surgery.

Do not become nervous. Try to take things easily and peacefully, and you will overcome every problem.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida