• question-icon

What causes inflammation of the uvula and soft palate?

Posted on Tue, 14 Oct 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi - I think I have uvulitis but wanted to check if it could be anything else and whether I need to see a doctor. I woke in the night with a very sore throat and feeling like something is stuck in my throat. I coughed up a small amount of blood this morning (not mixed with sputum) and my uvula is red, swollen and inflamed. I am a 44 year old female, healthy weight, currently taking zyban for smoking cessation. A week ago I had a cold and chesty cough that lasted 4 days. I was feeling fully recovered apart from the cough which is much improved and on the mend.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute pharyngitis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query.

The inflammation of the uvula including that of soft palate, with or without involvement of tonsils and its pillars, as well as the posterior pharyngeal wall is termed as Acute Pharyngitis.

The blood streaks seen during violent clearing of the throat is due to breakage of the tiny and engorged blood vessels, which is absolutely normal.

The description given by you is more likely related to pharyngitis, which would require treatment by antibiotics, povidone iodine throat gargles and good pain relievers.

Also, you need to drink plenty of warm water; avoid chilled food & beverages/ coffee/ alcohol for few days.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist