What causes inflammation of the uvula and soft palate?
Thanks for posting the query.
The inflammation of the uvula including that of soft palate, with or without involvement of tonsils and its pillars, as well as the posterior pharyngeal wall is termed as Acute Pharyngitis.
The blood streaks seen during violent clearing of the throat is due to breakage of the tiny and engorged blood vessels, which is absolutely normal.
The description given by you is more likely related to pharyngitis, which would require treatment by antibiotics, povidone iodine throat gargles and good pain relievers.
Also, you need to drink plenty of warm water; avoid chilled food & beverages/ coffee/ alcohol for few days.
Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes a curved uvula
- What causes a deviated uvula
- What causes mouth ulcers in soft palate
- What causes a crooked uvula
- What causes papilloma on uvula
- Tonsils/uvula inflammation causes
- What causes soft tissue inflammation
- What causes swelling of the soft palate
- What causes soft palate ulcers
- Uvula inflammation causes