What causes high pulse rate?

Question
I'm having rapid like 119 pulse rate
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Exclude common benign causes, persistence, see dr

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

For sure a pulse at 119 is relatively high for your age. Numerous circumstances can lead to an increase in the pulse. The common ones are really not that serious.

Increased body temperature or fever, increased physical activity, thyroid disease, low blood glucose, some heart diseases could all raise the pulse rate.

It is important to know if you did physical exercise, took a hot drink or a drink containing coffee before taking the pulse or you have any fever. These circumstances increase the pulse rate.

It might be important to take the pulse again at rest. In case the pulse is still raised, and the common cited conditions are absent, you might need to see a doctor.

In case of anxiety or fear or shock due to certain events, it is not rare to have increased pulse rates as such.

In case you experience no serious symptoms, I do not think you need to bother much. In case the pulse remains persistently high however, it is advisable you see your doctor then.

Kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain