What causes high blood pressure after alcohol consumption?
First 162 over 101 and 89 HB
Second 167 over 96 and 93 HB
Third 169 over 102 and 112 HB
I woudl explain as follows:
Welcome on HCM!
It seems that your high blood pressure values are a direct effect of over-stimulation from excessive alcohol intake.
In general, the hypertensive effects of alcohol are expressed within 24 hours its intake. After that, the blood pressure returns gradually to normal values (unless chronic hypertension co-exists).
Coming to this point, I would recommend having some rest for a couple of hours possibly in a quiet place and trying to sleep.
But, if you have additional complaints (headache, dizziness, difficulty breathing, etc.), especially if they keep persisting, I would advise to ask medical assistance to the nearest ER service.
In such case, a careful blood pressure monitoring, coupled with a comprehensive physical exam and additional tests (resting ECG, liver and renal function tests, blood electrolytes level, blood glucose level, etc.) would help to investigate possible acute effects of excessive alcohol intake. Several anti-hypertensive medications may be tried in medical setting to properly control high BP.
Also, I recommend monitoring your BP values for a couple of days up to a week (several times daily) to confirm whether chronic hypertension is present.
Hope to have been helpful to you!
In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of high blood pressure
- What causes erratic high blood pressure
- What causes high blood pressure and a tightening of the chest
- Alcohol and high blood pressure
- Nyquil cause high blood pressure
- Tonsillitis cause high blood pressure
- Lucozade causes high blood pressure
- What causes high blood pressure and what are the cure
- Alcohol cause high blood pressure
- What is cause of high blood pressure at night