What causes heart palpitations while running on the treadmill?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been having palpitations while running on the treadmill recently. The symptoms are new, I generally run about 1.75 miles and have been doing this for 6 years on a regular basis. I take 100mg of Toprol xl nightly and have for about 10 years d/t tachycardia (124 resting heart rate) and HTN. Nothing has changed in my health. I maintain a healthy weight. My resting heart rate and BP are both well controlled on the toprol. I am 50, female, have had a XXXXXXX and am on a hormone patch and have been for 5 years. No other changes in health. I do not smoke or drink alcohol or use elicit drugs.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Several medical tests are helpful for an appropriate differential diagnosis

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern, and would like to explain that your recent palpitations need further diagnostic investigations.

It is important first to rule out/in a possible arrhythmia. For this reason an ambulatory ECG monitoring is advisable.

Other lab tests are necessary to identify potential causes of palpitations, such as complete blood count for anemia, thyroid function tests for possible hyperthyroidism, blood electrolytes (for possible dyskalemia), etc.

Also, a careful psychological interview to address anxiety issues should be done, as it may be an important contributor of your complains.

You need to discuss with your doctor about the above mentioned issue.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask me whenever you need! Greetings! Dr. Iliri