What causes heart murmur?

Question
I'm wondering what has happened with my body to develop a mild murmur? I don't have any symptoms. I'm 44 years old, no prior heart issues, no meds, normal blood pressure. My doctor is ordering an echo but just kept saying it's probably benign. What does this all mean?
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Brief answer....given below
Detailed answer...
I have read your query well and understand your concern.
A murmur in heart is basically an extra sound in your heartbeat and is heard by the doctor on examination.These murmurs can be innocent or could be indicator of severe heart problem.
Innocent murmur occurs due to noisy movement of blood through a normal healthy heart.It may occur due to faster blood flow than usual.Certain illnesses like high fever or anaemia can result a faster blood flow.
On the other hand abnormal murmurs can be due to some congenital defect or heart valve getting damaged by heart attack or ageing.
Abnormal murmurs are generally associated with other symptoms like chest pain,breathlessness,dizziness etc.
Since you don't have any problem,your doctor is right in saying that it is most likely a innocent ( benign ) murmur,however an echocardiogram would be the right test to know what exactly is the status of heart and valves.
Innocent murmurs don't require any treatment as the heart is normal and healthy.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks