What causes frequent urination, blood in urine and pain in the pubic area?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I’m a male 76 years of age and have had some pain in the pubic area when I urinate - I have had to yhrinate very frequently as well for the past three days -this morning I urinated blood (first time ever) - since my first episode of urinating blood this morning it has happened 3 additional times.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably urinary tract infection with possible prostatitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
The history of frequent urination, blood in urine and pain in pubic area is indicative of an urinary tract infection with probable involvement of prostate as prostatitis.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Give the urine sample for tests of routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity before antibiotic is started to get a proper diagnosis and helps in further management.
Tests of blood for CBC, kidney functions and PSA.
Ultrasonography of whole abdomen particularly of urogenital system.
Per-rectal digital examination
Any other tests as advised by your Doctor/ Urologist and proper management as per the cause found.

I hope this answer helps you in proper diagnosis and management.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.