• question-icon

What causes frequent urination and heavy pressure in the bladder area?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in General Health
Question: I am a 59 year old male. I went to see my Urologist Monday March 21 with a complaint of frequent urination. Noticed some slight urgency, no pain really. He examined me said the prostrate seem to be OK and that maybe I was working on a UTI. Prescribed Levaquin 500mg once daily and Flomax .4 mg once a day. He did take blood but I have not heard anything back on that. I have been taking the medications for three days now and things are getting worse. I have been having episodes of increased heavy pressure in my bladder area that peak and then subside in about 2-3 hours. During this time I feel the need to urinate badly but can not or go very little till episode subsides then I go normally for the rest of the day/evening. Tonight it changed a bit. The pressure build up started and for about an hour and a half I could not urinate. I have now urinated a few times and noticed a few "strands" of blood in my urine. The pain is now subsided a bit but it is very deep and strong and is lasting longer than before. Also today when having intercourse I never ejaculated but did reach my peak as normal. Can I wait until Monday to call my Urologist for another appointment? Do I continue with the medication? The pressure and pain didn't seem to start till I started the medications but realize it could just be a coincidence. Thank you.

Also feeling a pressure like I need to have a bowel movement but can't. My bowels having been moving just fine all week. I have had this feeling on and off but though it was unrelated. Thought I would mention it just in case it matters.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Urolithiasis- kidney stones.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be helping you with your query today.

Your symptoms indicate a stone in your urinary tract (kidney, ureter, or bladder, urethra)

I would
: elicit the relevant medical history and examine the affected system
: do a urine routine & culture test.
: request for an ultrasound of the abdomen to rule out stones, prostate enlargement, urinary retention.
: do basic blood work (complete blood count, clotting parameters, renal function test, antibody test, blood group incase any surgical intervention is required).

Based on the above test results (size of stone/s, prostate) and clinical findings, I would plan a course of treatment.

Flomax (tamsulosin) helps with relaxing the bladder neck and prostate muscles to make flow of urine easier and also helps the passing of kidney stones. This may so cause abnormal ejaculation response
Levaquin (levofloxacin) is an antibiotic which can help treat certain urinary tract infections.

As you have obvious blood in the urine I strongly recommend that you meet with your physician as soon as possible. Your bowel symptoms supports the possibility of stones as well.

Please continue to take the medications as prescribed and hydrate yourself well. Extra Hydration will help to flush out the stones.
You may wait till Monday to see your urologist.

How, if your pain is severe, or there is excess bleeding (small streak are OK, just blood more than 2-3ml that is half a teaspoon is not ok)., fever, abdominal cramping, urinary retention occurs, please go to the ER right away.

Hope this helps.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. If not, please close this discussion and rate my answer.
Please stay well hydrated. Wish you good health.

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad