What causes frequent urge to urinate and pain in ovary?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: This question is for a gynocologist.
So I have been feeling the urge to pee alot after fooling around with my boyfriend last weekend (no sex but he fingered me) so I went to my gyno today and she did test for UTI came back negative but she is still sending out for culture sensitivity.She said it might just be cystisis, inflammation in the urethra that will clear up within a week.She also looked in my vagina and said no funny smell, no discharge but did a swap in my vagina to send out just to be sure not something else even though she was pretty sure it wasnt.She also did an internal exam and felt my bladder and ovaries and she said everything felt normal but after that I suddenly got a really bad pain in my right ovary.I told her it felt like an ache or cramp and she said she probably just knicked it and it would clear up.I went home and an hour later still hurting, now radiating down my leg and side.Went back, they fit me in for a sonagram, internal and external and they came back to say that I had a cyst on my right ovary that was leaking. She said she must of hit it when she was pressing on it and it partially broke. She said it is normal to get them inbetween periods and since my period is supposed to come next week, must have been that part of my cycle. She said it will resolve itself and I shouldnt worry about it.My question for you is, is that ok or should I be worried?Is there anything else we can do at this point? It still hurts a lot and is radiating. Is this normal?If so and its safe, do I just wait and eventually it will resolve itself or ?She didnt say how long? Do you have any idea?Thank you inadvance again for your help with helping me feel at ease, or atleast have a better understanding of my situation!!!Look forward to hearing back from you XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Small simple cysts resolve spontaneously.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your complaint. Firstly, you have probably had the so-called 'Honeymoon Cystitis', which usually happens in the initial days of consummation. This is because the female urethra is shorter and any pressure such as seen during an intercourse leads to urethritis and cystitis which resolves in a couple of days with medication.

Your consultant has been very apt in attending to this condition, but, unfortunately, could have traumatized an already existing undiagnosed ovarian cyst during the pelvic examination. This especially happens if there is a retroverted uterus where the ovaries are prolapsed into the pouch of XXXXXXX

The leakage of the fluid contained in the cyst causes referred pain as it spreads into the peritoneum and causes irritation. This, being small in amount, usually resolves spontaneously in 3-4 days. If you do not find any relief or worsening of symptoms, please get immediate help from your doctor.

As your clinical condition seems to be stable, conservative line of approach is ideal at this stage. This involves rest, avoidance of all sorts of exertion to prevent further leakage and analgesics to contain the pain.

Please do not stress as you seem to be in safe hands and follow your doctor's instructions.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Thank you for you reply Dr. XXXXXXX

She didnt give me any medication for the cystisis, she just said it would resolve on its own. Is that ok or do you think I should be on something?

I have been taking high doses of Vitamin C (Ester C which is non-acidic with biflavoids) 2000 mg every 6 hours incase there was any kind of infection.

With regards to the cyst she accidently ruptured during my pelvic exam, if she was more gentle, would she have felt it and not ruptured or are they so small sometimes you dont feel them and they just rupture when hit?

They did the external and internal sonograms after with the wand thing for inside and said it was partially ruptured and some fluid was leaking out. They then said it will just resolve itself.

I notice when I sit up, it hurts alot. But when I am laying down, it resolves and I barely feel it at all.

Is it the pressure of sitting up pushing on the ovary or something like that?
Is that bad or dangerous for the condition I am in or just annoying but shouldnt make anything worse?

I will try to lay down as much as possible but cant all day, unless you think I should because sitting up is making it worse? Or is it just irritating it but probably ok?

Also I googled ruptured cysts, that fluid leaking out some say can be toxic or is it normal and the body just absorbs it and I should be ok in a 3-4 days like you said?

Also, is ibuprofen ok for the pain or since that can thin the blood could that cause problems? Would Tylenol (Acetaminophen) be better or does it not matter? To be honest I took 600 mg of Ibuprofen and it didnt do anything towards lessening the pain.

I dont have any bleeding (period type blood) going on at the current time, no discharge, just the pain in my lower right side where she hit the cyst during the exam when I sit up.

Thank you again for your help with these questions. I really appreciate it!!!:) XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Acetaminophen with anti-spasmodic usually helps.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Here are your answers.
--There is usually no need for specific medication to treat such cystitis. Urinary anti-spasmodic like flavoxate with plenty of fluid intake will help.
--There is no need to take heavy doses of vitamin C, normal daily dose would suffice.
--gentle pelvic examination is always advised and I cannot judge the exact reason for the cyst rupture, because, such accidents can happen even with mild examination and also intercourse.
--sitting posture puts pressure on the pelvic organs and this is the reason why you are feeling the pain while sitting upright. Please take as much rest as possible to avoid building up the pelvic pressure.
--toxic symptoms can occur with hemorrhagic cysts especially when infection supervenes. This means that there would be severe pain, fever, deterioration in the general condition and so on. This condition needs active management. You do not seem to have such symptoms and you are being monitored well by your doctor, it appears.
--under ordinary conditions, natural absorption is the rule.
--Acetaminophen along with an antispasmodic usually helps.

Hope your queries have been answered. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.