Can plain lukewarm water be used to clean the penis?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi doctor,

May I know how to I properly clean my penis. I am uncut. And I noticed I am quite sensitive to soap on my Genital area.

Is it alright if I just clean it with Lukewarm water without soap while showering. Will it cause any problem in a Long run?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use plain lukewarm water

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
It is perfectly fine and recommended to clean the underside of prepuce and glans with plain lukewarm water. Soaps etc should not be used as genital mucous membrane is sensitive and soaps may cause irritation. Moreover soap bubbles may get inside the urethral opening and cause chemical urethritis - irritate urethral lining and cause burning sensation on passing urine.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Thank you doctor for your reply. Appreciate it
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us.