What causes left-sided pain in the chest after eating overheated food?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I ate some hot food yesterday.i was rushing to eat because I was in a hurry and didn't realize my food was hot when I ate it.it was split peas softened and cooked and I had microwaved them too much.i took a big bite and realized it burned badly down my throat.i don't usally do that.it hurt so bad that I knew I must have burned my throat.well I was stressed for time trying to get to doctors appt. I had driver to drive me but started haiving pain in my left side of my chest within about after I swallowed that big spoonful of hot soft peas.i am a vegan so I eat a lot of dried legumes for iron.i am still having the left sised buring pain in the area on the left side of my chest.i am a women and the area is located not under my left breat but on the upper part of my left chest.could buring the eshogeos cause pain in this area.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probably Gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns,

However, this pain at that location is probably referred pain from your stomach... It is expected that the overheated food has caused an inflammation of the mucous membrane of the esophagus and stomach.

I would recommend that you take a proton pump inhibitor as Omeprazole 20mg once daily and antacid eg. Ranitidine 150mg before every meal for one week to decrease gastric acidity and allow the tissues to heal..

Also, avoid salty or spicy foods in the meanwhile and drink plenty of fluids...If despite this the pain persists, please get yourself checked out by your doctor once to look for other causes that may also cause this.

I hope you find this helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 17 minutes later
I appreciate you emailing me back in a timely manner.may I ask another question please?my blood pressure was high at the time after the incedent occurs and I am hoping this isn't heart pain.the pain hasn't really diminished much since yesterday and can heart problems be also located in this area of the left side of my upper chest.?and if it wuld have been a heart attack the pain would not still be occurring right?

I take protonix 40mg per day now.i also can use malox 30cc to help,how oftem can I take malox 30cc?

can you please rely as soon as possiblethank you
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Three times daily

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, Hello again.

The chest pain of cardiac origin is more like a squeezing pain while pain due to gastritis is more like a burning or dull aching pain that increases with meals or by lying down.

Also, gastric pain is relieved by antacids while cardiac pain does not...
Another thing is that cardiac pain is often associated with dizziness and shortness of pain... If your experience any of them then please go to the hospital and get an urgent ECG and echocardiogram...

Malox can be taken before every meal which means three times daily...

I hope you find this helpful...

Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 18 hours later
thank you sir I appreciate you .I havenet had dizzines or shortness or breath and the pain on the left side has gone away exept a small amount occainisly.i will be seeing cardiologist soon and gstroenterolgist soon.thank you and merry Christmas.
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, you are welcome and it's great to hear that you are feeling better.. May you always be in good health.. Merry Christmas to you too.. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion and rate the answer..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj