What causes foul chemical smell coming from mouth, urine and feces?

Nephrologist
Question
I'm ill (nausea) with a chemical taste in my mouth, chemical smell emitting from my body, urine, and feces
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs to be investigated

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I understand there is foul smell coming from mouth, urine and feces. In order to understand your illness better I need a few more information

1. How long since you have been ill?
2. When have you last visited a doctor and got routine investigations done?
3. Did you receive a lot of painkillers for the fracture other than tramadol?
4. Are your bowel movements irregular as well?

I hope to hear from you soon

Follow-up: What causes foul chemical smell coming from mouth, urine and feces? 15 hours later
7 days
I went to the ER..my doctor out of town...they said blood work and cat scan. They seemed perplexed. No answers.
Odor not only from urine and feces, but emitted from skin. It's on my bed, my furniture, my clothes.........am always nauseous ....worse in morning after breathing it all night
Have drank lots of club soda, 7 Up. Have trouble keeping water down. No appetite
I have been prescribed 3 different pain meds.....tramadol, hydrocodone, percoset.
Can't tolerate percoset. I've never taken 2 different kinds of pain meds at the same time. I don't like taking them at all and take only when pain is severe.
bowel movements irregular, did have constipation 1 day. Have not eaten much

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Altered sense of smell

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the reply

The fact that you are perceiving an altered sense of smell in almost anything 'could' mean that there is some issue in olfaction ( sense of smell) itself. I understand how difficult it is as I had a similar experience a few years back

Here is how you go about it

1. The most common causes for this problem are sinusitis, deviated nasal septum, common cold and gingivitis. Please approach an ENT specialist for further evaluation and treatment

2. Both Tramadol and Percoset can cause this problem. I advice you to stop this for a while and see for improvement. You can approach your doctor for an alternative pain killer. Some of the alternatives are diclofinac, aceclofenac, fentanyl patch, etc

3. Constipation is again a side effect of tramadol, I advice you to take a laxative at night like lactulose.

4. Avoid drinking soda, plain water is good enough.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery