What causes flesh-colored vaginal discharge while removing the tampon?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: My daughter is 13 and got her period last month. While removing the tampon there is a extra piece ig skin and is very painful to her in removing the tampon. What is this and what can be done. She only uses pads now
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be hymen tag, Use of sanitary napkins advisable.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dr. Purushottam welcomes you to HCM virtual clinic!
Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully gone through your query, and I think I have understood your concern. I will try to address your medical concerns and would suggest you the best of the available treatment options.
1)First of all do not panic.

2) From your description it looks like a tag of hymen that could have pulled out and that must be hanging from vaginal opening. That must be paining her.

3) If it is not bleeding you can apply local antiseptic ointment and for pain she can take simple pain killer like PARACETAMOL, of course she will need prescription for the same.

4)It is wise decision to use sanitary napkins . She can take help of websites that guide teens about maintaining personal hygiene and use and disposal of sanitary napkins.
I hope my answer helps you.
Thanks.
Wish you great health.
Dr Purushottam S Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 18 minutes later
Will this need to be removed. When she takes her tampon out it catches and she needs help.
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If painful or disturbing , it can be removed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back.

If that tag keeps on hurting her or gets in the way every time, you can consider removing it under suitable anesthesia.

Many a times , till her next cycle it will heal on its own and there can be no pain.
But if needed you can remove it .

I hope this answer helps you.
Thank you.
Dr XXXXXXX Neurgaonkar