What causes fever in children?
It seems to be a case of viral infection.
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
Moft often fever in children is due to viral cause. The first thing I would suggest is not to panic. In case of viral infections, irrespective of the use of antibiotics, it takes 5-7 days to recover. You have to give tylenol to bring down the temperature. Also give tepid sponging. Please do not use cold water for the baths. Use lukwarm water or at least water at body temperature. If the child is otherwise active and fine, I would not worry. The child needs to be rushed to the ER if she grows lethargic.
I would not worry if the child does not pass stool for a few days provided the stool is not hard and pellet like. In case that happens, plenty of green leafy vegetables is to be given.
Hope that helps.
Dr. Diptanshu Das
Children tend to put anything and everything in the mouth
Thanks for writing back.
Teething would not directly cause an infection. But it is possible that in such an age the child puts anything and everything in the mouth and that could indeed have been the source of infection.
Antibiotics are ineffective in a viral infection and need not be given
Thanks again for writing back.
In case of viral infections antibiotics are ineffective. Antibiotics are only effective in case of bacterial infections. I would suspect a viral infection is the child is active and fine and not lethargic. The child needs to be treated with antibiotics only if there are alarming signs like lethargy.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of fever with hepatomegaly in children
- Fever in children causes
- Hyperacidity causes fever in children
- What causes fever in children
- Causes for prolonged fever in children
- What causes recurrent fever in children
- What causes fever in toddlers
- What causes a sudden fever
- What causes hay fever
- Causes of typhoid fever in children
- Suggest treatment for autism spectrum disorder
- What causes loose stools post cesarean operation?
- Suggest treatment for rash on a 4 yr old
- What do light colored skin patches on thigh indicate?
- Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child
- What causes swelling in head of an infant?
- Can Taxim O Forte and Vizylac be given together?
- Suggest treatment for anorectal malformation in a down syndrome child
- What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?
- Suggest treatment for persistent high fever