• question-icon

What causes fever, headache, sore throat, swollen lymph glands and fatigue?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Healthy Male 46 yo. The last 4 days I've experienced 100 to 101 fever, headache sore throat with swollen lymph glands on one side, fatigue, loss of appetite. 500 mg of IB significantly reduces symptoms but reoccurs at end of 5 hours. Also have been taking 2 x a day of 500mg Cipro in case it's strep. Doesn't seem to be helping. Traveling in Indonesia so needing to make self diagnosis. Symptoms appeared a day after arriving Indonesia from Shanghai where I live. Doubt it is dengue fever or malaria because of incubation. Also took flu shot in the US last September.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood tests necessary

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I can understand your concerns.

As for the fever, you should take Ibuprofen alternating with Paracetamol every 6 hourly, this means that you take the ibuprofen then after six hours you take the Paracetamol and so on(do take after some food only) for the time being...

The ciprofloxacin dose should be increased to 1 Gm twice daily in order to be able to eliminate any possible bacterial infection. For the sore throat, you should drink plenty of warm fluids and throat lozengens.

The symptoms of dengue fever and malaria resemeble the symptoms of regular flu...

However, to exclude dengue fever, you should get a CBC test along with Dengue IgG and IgM, if they are within normal ranges then dengue fever is excluded. To exclude malaria you need to get an ELISA blood test for malaria.

I hope I answered your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 28 minutes later
Thank you for your response. If it is bacterial and I increase the dosage of Cipro when would I expect to notice symptom relief? If it is viral how long does it typically take to feel better given it has already been 4 days ?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
3-4 days and a week

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

If bacterial, you should expect some relief after 3-4 days from increasing the dose.

If viral then it should be relieved after about a week from the beginning of symptoms.

I hope you find this helpful.

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman