What causes fecal incontinence post a hemorrhoidectomy?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Had a hemorroidectomy on Dec. 1. Per instructions I have been taking MiraLax once each day (except for one day). Began bowel movement on Dec. 4, but each time it is usually a small amount and I feel frequent pressure on the anus to go again. There is a bit of leakage occurring as well, including after passing gas. Didn't keep count, but I surely have gone at least 15 times each day. Stool is soft enough, but does not pass easily through the anus (that is I feel strain of some sort). I was thinking that the anus sort of temporarily "shuts down" after allowing a bit to pass and full evacuation isn't happening. Otherwise healing seems normal. My question is if these frequent movements with relatively small stool amounts (plus the leakage) is a common occurrence after a hemorroidectomy? To check if MiraLax might be a factor, I stayed off of it for a day, but still had many bowel movements (maybe not quite as many, but I hadn't expected to make detailed observations like this, so there is subjectivity to what I'm saying). Just looking for some reassurance. Couldn't find any real information about this specific issue searching on the Internet. My surgeon - who I believe is very competent - doesn't seem the best at understanding the kind of contact and informational support some patients require (beyond the usual).
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fecal incontinence due.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Leakage of stool is not a good sign and could be suggestive of fecal incontinence.Fecal incontinence is the inability to control bowel movements, causing stool (feces) to leak unexpectedly from the rectum.
There is a possibility of nerve damage during operation causing stretching of muscles of the rectum causing fecal incontinence owing to this watery stool from farther up the digestive tract to move around the impacted stool and leak out.
Suggestion- go for digital examination to check for patency of mucles
Start following kegel execises daily.
Follow with results!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Not sure if I should have said "leakage" since it occurs when passing gas. Also there isn't much and it doesn't seem watery, although I can't be sure since I have gauze in the underwear. However, my main concern was with the frequency of bowel movements - these do not leak - they just put pressure on the anus and I have to go to the bathroom and require some strain to get them out. The stools are well formed, but soft enough. I do know that there can be nerve damage from the surgery, but there are short term effects possible as well, and that was what I was wondering about.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
As told by you earlier you are on Miralax.Polyethylene glycol-electrolyte is used to empty the colon. PEG is in a class of medications called osmotic laxatives. It works by causing watery diarrhea so that -the stool can be emptied from the colon in long term this results in depletion of good flora in gut.Our gut contain colonies of good bacterias which are responsible for proper digestion of food,Due to long term use of medications this flora is severely disturbed.
This could be a second possibility.
I would suggest you to start on a probiotic like VSL3 twice daily. Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health, especially your digestive system. We usually think of bacteria as something that causes diseases. But body is full of bacteria, both good and bad. Probiotics are often called "good" or "helpful" bacteria because they help keep your gut healthy.Long term miralax might have depleted the good bacterias in your gut so start taking it asap.
Take 2-3 spoon edible virgin olive oil in the morning.
Take Fybogel husk-Fybogel sachets and Fybogel Hi-Fibre sachets both contain the active ingredient ispaghula husk, which is a type of medicine called a bulk-forming agent. Ispaghula is a type of fibre. It swells when it comes into contact with fluid in the gut and thus increases the volume of the feces.It increases the bulk in your stool, an effect that helps to cause movement of the intestines. It also works by increasing the amount of water in the stool, hence increasing its bulk.
Follow this for a week if things are not better even after that then follow my first answer.

Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng