What causes falling of nails?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
these pictures are of my toe nail this is the second time it falls out the first time is when I was on depo both of my toe nail fell out the same way it wasn't the whole nail but half almost to the tip and I thought it was due to the depo but it fell out again today and I was looking up that it may be cause my fungus or a bad injury I mean I hurt this toe bad I broke it when I feel down the stairs and the other ddnt fall out so I thought it was due to that But it doesn't hurt or it did not bleed and when I came off there was no pain what can I do for it
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fungal nail infection

Detailed Answer:
hi,

thanks for your question,

your right the commonest cause of this problem is a fungal infection of the toe nail.

the nail or some clipping can be sent to the lab by your dr to confirm the diagnosis.

there is an oral medication for treatment that needs to be taken for a prolonged period.

I hope this answers your question.

best wishes