What causes extensive swelling in stomach and testicles when diagnosed with hernia?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Yes, my son has extensive swelling of both his stomach and testicles. He was first diagnosed with a hernia. he eventually went to the ER as things became worse. After both a catscan and MRI, he was informed that he had excessive fluids building up caused by possible beginning of liver damage, as he is is big beer drinker, Said they could drain the fluid, but did nothing. He can now not even sit as his testicles are now the size of grapefruits Trying to find a vialable solution of what this could be and how the proceed in reducing the fluid build up. He has gone fron 280 lbs to well over 300 lbs. Need some additional expertise and what type of Dr he should actually be seeing.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let him see a Gastroenterolgist.

Detailed Answer:
HI and thank you so much for this query.

Yes, this sounds like liver damaged with excess fluid build up. The best specialist to see is a a gastroenterologist. Forth time being, reduce salt and fluids intake. Also, spironolactone would also help eliminating major part of the fluid to help hm feel relieved. Another option is draining it but not always a long lasting solution as this will easily build up again.

I hope this his guiding enough. I wish your son well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.