What causes elevated liver enzyme while on Oxycodone and Tylenol?

Question
my wife had elevated liver enzyme on recent blood test. she is in severe pain due to recent back surgeries and is taking oxycodone 5mg 3 times daily and also xtra strength Tylenol as suggested by her dr. should she stop taking the Tylenol? if so, what is her option?
Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep liver enzymes in check

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Both Oxycodone and Tylenol, whether separately or in combination, cause an elevation of the liver enzymes, but Tylenol is more toxic to the liver than Oxycodone.

The safe daily dose for Tylenol less then 2 grams per day, which is equal to 4 extra strength Tylenol, while gradually tapering off Oxycodone as she recovers from the surgeries.

I strongly recommend she gets the liver enzymes tested regularly to keep an eye on any changes.

I hope this helps. Wishing your wife a swift recovery.
Regards.