What causes elevated TSH levels?

Excellent

Endocrinologist
Question
I am a type 1 diabetic since 8 years. I recently had a total health check up in which all my parameters came out to be normal except my TSH. TSH came out to be 24.57. I then got my T3, T4 and a retest of TSH also checked which came out to be
T3 - 61 (lab reference range 61-180)
T4 - 6.0 (Lab reference range 4.5-10)
TSH - 15.45

I went to an endocronologist and he said you can start with 25mcg of thyronorm.

My question is, how come my T3 and T4 are normal despite my TSH being way out of the normal range. Also, I don't have any symptoms of hypothyroid.

Can you also tell me whether I will have to take this thyroid medication for life or is there a possibility that my thyroid gland may function back to normal?

My blood sugar is well under control. My last 2 HbA1c's were 5.9 and 6.1
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Compensated state of gland.

Detailed Answer:
dear sir, hi! it is very usual that when thyroid gland slows down , it produces less of T3 and T4 and to compensate pituitary produces more TSH. raised TSH pressurises thyroid to increase T3 and T4 production. so initially this state of compensation exists for some time. also clinical symptoms do not become apparent till T3 and T4 are normal. after a certain time thyroid fails to compensate even under raised TSH, it is then that T3 and T4 start falling and also clinical symptoms start appearing.
usually thyroid disorders are for life time and specially with T1DM thyroid disorders are a common accompaniment.
regards!

Follow-up: What causes elevated TSH levels? 5 minutes later
Hmm...one more query. I have no family history of type 1 diabetes or type 2 diabetes or thyroid disorders. My near blood relatives including uncles and aunts are healthy without any kind of disorder. With me having diabetes and thyroid disorder, what are the chances that I might genetically pass it on to my son or daughter?

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not high probability.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, T1DM is not really genetically passed. it is a gene mutation causing autoimmune beta cell destruction. it occurs in affected individuals de novo. and this is not transmitted.