What causes electric shock or spasms around breast bone?
Hello, sir. Thank you for your question and welcome to Health Care Magic. I understand your concern.
Although this may be a non-worrisome event, based on your age of 74 years old, I would have some recommendations. Let us go through this together. The spasm/shock-like pain you may be originated from any organ in the within-ribcage, but mostly, I would like to exclude the lungs and the heart in the differential diagnosis. Therefore, a cardiac check-up seems appropriate at this time. I would recommend:
- EKG - to assess the electrical and conduction systems of the heart in resting state;
- echocardiogram - to asses the size, function and motility of the heart structures and the valves.
Based on these examinations, the need to perform a cardiac stress test can be elicited.
Also, I would recommend a plain postero-anterior and lateral chest X-ray, to evaluate the structure of the lungs and pleura (lung linings).
This is more to exclude the probable origins of this phenomenon, rather than calling it a worrisome phenomenon in the first place. So, nothing to worry about at this moment.
I hope I was helpful with my answer. I am here to help, if you have follow-up questions. Please rate the answer, if you do not. Wish you a good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of electric shock sensations
- What can an electric shock cause bruising
- Electric shock causes
- Electrical shock spasms on the left shoulder blade causes
- What causes electric shock pain in neck
- What causes electric shocks down your arm
- What causes electric shock in brain and foggy head
- What causes electrical shock feeling in left shoulder
- Causes electric shock in back
- Electric shock feeling in armpit painful what is causing it