What causes electric shock like sensation in left shoulder?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What causes electric shock feeling in left shoulder? Lasts Only a split second
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For how long has this been going on?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this electric shock feeling that you have reported. I have reviewed your information fully. Electric shock feeling often arise from stimulation of nerves by the surrounding tissues. In most cases, this is a transient observation and usually resolves spontaneously without need for aggressive medical evaluation and interventions. The first thing to do would be to first of all do exercises with the upper arms. This way, you loosen up the structures and improve blood flow. This is one of the best ways to accelerate getting over a symptom like this.

Unless, this fails to resolve, I will not recommend any further medical intervention at this time. Exercise the shoulder joint and report the progress of your symptoms to me. If need be, we would make a decision sometime in future on the need to get detailed evaluation or not.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 12 minutes later
It has been happening for years on an intermittent basis of a time span of from several minutes to several weeks.
I have irregular heartbeat and I can't sleep on the said shoulder for long without it aching
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This could be a trapped nerve. I will suggest you get it examined!

Detailed Answer:

Because this has been going on for long and you cannot actually sleep on this shoulder for long, there seem to be a genuine and ongoing problem. At this time, I think it is probably caused by a nerve being trapped or compressed by surrounding structures especially when you lie on it.

This is in no way related to a possible heart attack. Let’s be clear about this so that it should not raise fear in you. The best doctor to start with would be your primary care doctor and a physical therapist. if these two fail, then we would need an orthopedist to evaluate the shoulder using imaging tests to look at the structures of the shoulders.

This is not an emergency. Take your time and arrange for these visits at your earliest convenience. I wish you well and always available to listen and address any of your concerns.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah